By Abdulafeez Olaitan
Management of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) has on Monday, May 2nd, 2022 announced an application opening for the position of Vice-Chancellor of the prestigious institution.
Confirmed in a recent publication on the institution’s website signed Oladejo Azeez,Esq.; Registrar and Secretary to Council.
The current Vice-Chancellor Professor Oluwatoyin Ogundipe FAS, whose tenure is set to come to an end by October 2022 was appointed as Vice-Chancellor of the university in November 2017.
He assumed office after emerging highest victorious in the interview conducted, beating notable academics like Professor Olukayode Amund, and Professor Ayodeji Olukoju to the post. Until his appointment in November 2017, he was the deputy vice-chancellor of the University of Lagos.
Recall that Professor Ogundipe was previously removed as the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos by the university’s governing council following accusations of financial impropriety and gross misconduct. He was however reinstated by President Muhammadu Buhari based on the recommendation of an investigative panel which found that the removal was not done with due process.
The single term tenure for the position of Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos runs for 5 years. Following review of application, “The successful candidate shall hold office as Vice-Chancellor for a single term of five (5) years only from November 12, 2022 (date of resumption) on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment,” the publication affirmed.
The following contains the requirements for the post of Vice-Chancellor, University of Lagos.
An eligible candidate must be
- an exemplary scholar with good quantum of publications in highly rated journals;
- a person with demonstrable capacity for original thinking and creativity;
- a Professor for at least 10 years, and not more than 65 years old on November 11, 2022;
- a person with astute managerial ability who can maintain the peace and academic stability for which the University is reputed;
- a scholar of outstanding national and international repute, with proficiency in Information Communication Technology (ICT) and considerable experience at top levels of University Administration;
- a person with a track record of teaching; research and community service;
- a person with entrepreneurial and innovative abilities with the capacity to create wealth for the sustainability of the University of our future in line with the vision and mission;
- a person endowed with strong character and ability to give courageous and effective leadership;
- a person with a clear vision for the development of the University in realisation of its mission to refocus research and innovation, infrastructural development and human resource allocation as expressed in the University Strategic Plan;
- able to foster regional and international partnerships including securing opportunities with the local and International business community for the achievement of the University’s strategic goal;
- a person capable of inspiring the advancement of learning while reaching out to all persons without discrimination in any form;
- of sound mental and physical health, pleasant disposition, unassailable integrity and strong moral character capable of inspiring and maintaining moral discipline among staff and students.
Find full details on the method of application process here.