The Press Club, University of Lagos is happy to announce the winners of the maiden edition of Tosin Adesile Essay Writing Competition.
Entries to the competition, which were open to students of the University of Lagos, were received in March with the deadline set to 25th of same month.
The competition’s essay title is 2023 Election and the future of Nigerian Democracy: Challenges and Prospects.
Panel of judges
The panel of judges include:
- Niyi Oyedeji; Former journalist, International Centre for Investigative Reporting (ICIR) and Graduate student, Swansea University, United Kingdom.
- Mayowa Isiaq; President, The Press Club, University of Lagos.
- Abdulafeez Olaitan; Vice President (Editorial), The Press Club, University of Lagos.
The entries were judged on the basis of content and relevance, structure and organization, language and style, and critical thinking and originality. The competition received many quality entries, out of which 3 entries emerged winners:
- 1st place (N30,000): Anthonia O. Abraham (Physiotherapy)
- 2nd place (N20,000): Nurudeen O. Ogundipe
- 3rd place (N10,000): Faith C. Edison (Accounting)
In addition to cash prizes, the winners will be sponsored to take online Creative Writing courses and awarded certificates of achievement presented by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the institution.
About the sponsor
The essay competition sponsor, Tosin Adesile is the founder and pioneer president of The Press Club, University of Lagos. The organisation prepared him for professional journalism and he is indeed grateful for the opportunity. He is editor-in-chief of thesparklightng.com and has won several awards, including Gateway News Update Outstanding Young Journalist in Ogun state.
The competition also received support from Akokites friends of the sponsor, Agbabiaje Olayinka, Akeem Owoeye and Sherif Lanre Akinpelu.